Lonely Planet Experiences: South Philly Markets, Mosaics, Magic Small Group Tour
Art, culture, diversity, and of course, the spirit of Rocky lives on in South Philly! Join this Philadelphia tour to see just how eclectic this gritty city is. From hidden alleyways to Italian markets, family-owned businesses, and public art, South Philly is a slice of the real Philly.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Italian Market, 9th Street from Wharton to Fitzwater Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19147
You'll start out exploring the 9th Street Italian Market (aka South 9th Street Curb Market), considered to be America’s oldest open-air market. At this must-see attraction dating back to the 1880s, wander past an array of stores teeming with cheese, chocolate, spices and olive oils. With your knowledgeable guide, meet the butchers, bakers, spice merchants and produce vendors who provide food samples to whet your appetite. You’ll hear stories of the city's early immigrants and have a chance to recreate a famous scene from the 1970s blockbuster film Rocky.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Philadelphia's Magic Gardens, 1020 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147-1936
Then head to Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, a unique gallery and community art center that showcases more mosaic art from Isaiah Zagar. Meander through the indoor gallery, and be wowed by the massive outdoor mosaic structure while you hear city stories from your guide.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: South Street, 301 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Throughout your tour, you'll pop on and off eclectic South Street, checking out shops, tattoo parlors, restaurants, and public art.
Your tour concludes at the Magic Gardens. From here, your guide can give you recommendations on where to go to eat, drink, and shop along Philly’s eclectic and dynamic South Street. Now that you're a bona fide local, you may even want to make an appointment for your new Urban Adventures tattoo.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 3 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 10:00 AM
- Return Details: Philadelphia's Magic Gardens, 1020 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147, USA
- English-speaking Local Guide
- Food samples
- Admission to the mosaic gallery
- Entry/Admission - Philadelphia's Magic Gardens
- Additional food and drinks
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Attire: A good pair of comfortable walking shoes is recommended; make sure to check the weather report for rain
- Child policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed; please select ‘child’ when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge; at the time of booking, please advise if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6 years in the 'special requirements' box on the checkout page
- Maximum group size is 12
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing.
- Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
Average 4.85 out of 5 stars based on 34 verified reviews from Cool Philadelphia and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
We’re here to help.
Call (800) 814 COOL to speak with a Philly expert!
Product code: C-5713MARKETS